SCG Chemicals or SCGC is well aware of environmental and social crisis e.g. resource scarcity, global warming and inequality. In order to create a better world and society, SCGC announces ESG targets and sets directions heading towards “’Chemicals Business for Sustainability” in ASEAN, driving resource maximization based on circular economy. SCGC focuses on green polymer development, targeting 1 million tonnes per year of green polymer volume by 2030. Moreover, energy efficiency, renewable energy and low carbon technology are implemented in order to achieve carbon neutrality target and leverage community’s quality of life, creating jobs in communities and promoting low carbon society.
Tanawong Areeratchakul, CEO and President of SCG Chemicals or SCGC, revealed, “SCGC is committed to conducting business in line with sustainable development goals to become ‘Chemicals Business for Sustainability’ in ASEAN with the strong emphasis on operating business in tandem with stewardship of Environmental, Social and Governance or ESG issues. The mission is to maximize the resource according to circular economy principle and reduce impact on environment with Green Innovation e.g. green polymer, low carbon technology. Additionally, to address climate change, SCGC is focusing on carbon reduction throughout the supply chain by selecting manufacturing machinery with cutting-edge technology and environmental friendliness; promoting the use of technology and digital systems; adopting green innovation; reducing resource and energy consumption at every stage; incorporating management safety to improve safety; and minimizing impacts on health, the environment, and the society. We also invite all stakeholders to engage in the operation to ensure transparency and fair treatment and allow plants and communities in their surroundings to sustainably coexist and grow in harmony.
With passion to create a better world, SCGC has announced ESG’s targets and directions in three dimensions, driving sustainable growth strategy with technology and innovation to protect the environment. In addition, SCGC is preserving the ecosystem and natural resources, taking precedence over health and safety, caring for the communities, elevating communities’ quality of life, and operating business accordingly with SCGC Code of Conduct.
Strive to develop plastic resins with circular economy-based technologies and innovations, targeting 1 million tons per year of green polymer volume by 2030. Green Polymer covers 4 environmental solutions.
- REDUCE – enhancing material for eco-efficiency with our SMX™Technology, our breakthrough innovation helps strengthen polyethylene resins and reduce the wall thickness in a product while retaining its functional properties. The solution reduces resource consumption and maximizing resource efficiency.
- RECYCLABLE – designing for recyclability with Mono-material solution, enabling packaging to be recycled efficiently.
- RECYCLE – adopting recycling by developing High Quality Post-Consumer Recycled Resin (High Quality PCR) from Mechanical Recycling Process and Certified Circular Resin from Advanced Recycling Process.
- RENEWABLE –developing Bio-Compostable Compound Resin, ready to be produced as bio-compostable bags, and plastic made from renewable resources in which SCGC is collaborating with Braskem to study on Bio-Based Polyethylene, making from agricultural product.
Achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 by lowering greenhouse gas emissions within 2030 by 20% from the base year 2021. To accomplish the goals, SCGC adopts “Low Carbon Low Waste” approach; improving machinery and process for energy efficiency, replacing fossil fuel with clean energy, developing and investing in low carbon emission technologies, applying circular economy throughout value chain, and using carbon offset activities such as tree planting in various areas e.g. mangrove planting.
- Set a target of zero workplace illness and accident-related injury.
- Promote equality and non-discriminatory and ensure that no human rights are violated.
- Develop and encourage community participation, and evaluate the community’s degree of satisfaction through measures such as organizing emergency response drills and preparing mitigation and prevention measures, establishing a behavioral monitoring safety program, and establishing COVID-19 screening points.
- Create low carbon and environmentally friendly society.
- SCGC is committed to conducting business responsibly, transparently, and equitably following the SCGC Code of Conduct.
- Set a target of zero legal non-compliance and zero business disruptions
- Concerning the anti-corruption policy, SCGC sets the goal of effectively and adequately practicing and applying the policy by developing a handbook to impart a practice guideline and requiring all employees to comprehend and pass 100% Ethics e-Testing.
- The company has established policies and safety management guidelines for its information technology and cybersecurity system in accordance with international standards (ISO 27001 and IEC 62443) and within the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) framework. In addition, it established the Risk Oversight and Surveillance Committee, which continuously monitors threats and conducts regular drills to respond to emergencies at any time.
“We have specific ESG targets to set company directions and goals, with a significant emphasis on caring for the environment, society and governance, as well as SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). With ESG-based business direction, we believe SCGC will realize its long-term goal of becoming ‘Chemicals Business for Sustainability’, achieving 1 million tons per year of green polymer volume by 2030 and carbon neutrality by 2050 to help mitigate the effects of global warming, benefiting society and communities with passion for a better world” said Tanawong.
For more SCG innovation for living solutions, better communities, and a healthier environment please visit https://www.scg.com/esg/ https://scgnewschannel.com / Facebook: scgnewschannel / Twitter: @scgnewschannel / Line@: @scgnewschannel
Published on: Aug 25, 2022